Article written

• on 07.06.2006
  • at 09:33 AM
  • by Seer

Drop iTunes, Media Monkey & Rockbox is the Perfect Marriage! 24

Jun7

After my rant on iTunes’s failings the other day I was driven to find a superior solution. I didn’t know if I would find what I was looking for, but I am very glad that I did!

My first foray was amongst the alternative library software, I looked at half a dozen alternatives, but Media Monkey came out tops. It has everything iTunes has and more!

The Monkey Interface

The interface is more intuitive than iTunes, with nodes that can display your library filtered by a just about any combination of tag information. One particular node I particularly like is the ‘Files to Edit’ node where you can display tracks without Artist, Album, Year, etc tag and correct them on the fly.

It’s tagging tools are fantastic and the auto-tag facility will find the tracks within Amazon’s library and grab all the info & album art and apply it to the file (or to multiple files). With the Album Art, formats such as FLAC where the album art can’t be injected into the file itself, it will place the image in the folder where most libraries will find it anyway.

Auto-tag in action

You can monitor a drive or a group of folders for new files so that new tracks just dumped in that drive will be picked up as soon as you next launch Media Monkey, and if you aren’t going try the Rockbox firmware I will talk of in a second, it will rip tracks to mp3 (you can specify bit-rate etc) on-the-fly as they are added to ipod if they are of an unsupported format such as FLAC.

It really is the most well thought out comprehensive piece of software I have tried in a long time and beats iTunes hands down in every department. Best of all it’s Free and I can’t recommend it highly enough. Fantastic Work!

So having discovered my new media-library nirvana, I was feeling a bit more adventurous and tried find anything that would hack the ipod for wider format support. Alas nothing existed that would do so within the current ipod firmware. However, I was lead to the Rockbox firmware replacement, which works for numerous players, including just about all the ipods including my Nano.

Rockbox with Black Glass Theme

It’s an open source project with great support. The features that drew me to this rather drastic nuking of my iPod were:

• Wide range of codec support – MP3, Ogg Vorbis, Musepack, FLAC, AAC, ALAC, AC3 and WavPack
  • Additional music playback features include gapless and crossfading, as well as a five-band parametric equalizer to fine-tune sound output
  • iPods also get ReplayGain support for volume level normalization
  • A large number of plugins, including games, applications, and “demos”. There is even Doom!
  • On-The-Go playlist creation and adjustment, full file bookmarking support
  • Lots of applications developed, or in development, such as a text viewer, paint application and other nice utilities that really add functionality outside of the music sphere.
  • Customisable and Downloadable Themes

It seemed too good to be true, but I can now vouch that everything it promises works and works well!

Tag Browsing Options
FLAC playback is perfect, the sheer number of options for fine tuning the sound to the exact way you want it is staggering (5 band equalizer, crossfeed/fade, etc). The applications work, gapless playback is great for those who like mixed dance compilations, volume normalization seemed much better than iTunes/Apple Firmware, it will even make your iPod talk to you!!! (Developed with blind users in mind!).

Theme with cover art

I have run Rockbox for 2 full days now and I haven’t missed a single thing from the standard Apple firmware, it’s been rock stable and even in those 2 days of solid use I am sure I haven’t found all the toys to play with!

There is only one little issue with Rockbox, battery life is about 1/2 as long. However they are aware of it and say it has been the same with all the other players (such as iRiver and Archos devices) and they have fixed it over time. They didn’t actually crack the ipod well enough to play sound until a few months ago so these builds are still early. Yet there is a new build nearly every day and I still found the battery life long enough to last me through a full day of work (constant play from approx 8am through to 4pm) at which point I always hook it back up when I get home so it wasn’t an issue for me. Just be aware of it if taking it on a long trip or something.

Installation is reasonably straightforward and a good guide is provided.

What can I say… My iPod nano is the device it should have been and my library management has never been easier. It’s a perfect combination and I can’t imagine I will return to iTunes or the standard apple firmware unless they make some very dramatic improvements. The bar has been set by the open source community and Apple need to raise their game a long way to reach it!

No related posts.

There are 24 comments for this post

1. Kevin says:

Problem

1) No podcasts
    2) No video

2. Seer says:

1) Podcasts no problem
    2) True

3. saa[b_r]ider says:

You can always dualboot.

If you think you only need two hours of battery life to watch a video, just bootup in the original iPod firmware..

Plus, Rockbox has many more advanced options, and is highly customizable.

4. Klaus says:

Concerning Media Monkey:

If you like customization and a well written peace of software you should go for foobar2k.

Definitly better than the Monkey!

5. Seer says:

Hi Klaus

I have heard a lot about foobar2k, but never actually fooled around with it yet. If ya fancy writing a nice (and well-balanced) piece on its features just let me know :)

6. Benedict Tucker says:

You can shove videos on rockbox now and even on a nano. Also it has better compression than apple and miles better compression that ipod linux :D

7. Seer says:

Hey thanks Benedict! I do plan to revisit this article this week as there is a lot to catch up on with rockbox I realised when I checked it out again last week. It’s about 3rd on my to-do list so expect a freshening up or even a whole new article this week :)

8. tyler_d says:

I was hoping that someone would enlighten me on the video output of these? are they planning on releasing one that supports divx output… is there firmware that supports video playback other than the original i-pod firmware. available for mandriva? compression? my research indicates that the actual music compression found on i-pods was close to untouchable… untrue? fill me in if you would… and ty.

9. Seer says:

Hi Tyler, good question and one that I am currently looking into as part of a long list of things for the updated version of this article that I hope to post in the next few days. I plan to speak to one of the devs personally so please let me know of any other specific questions you guys have.

10. unsuffign says:

Hi people

As newly registered user i just want to say hello to everyone else who uses this site <:-)

11. Visitor says:

Hi everyone! I was just visiting this website and I wanted to say hi. Hi!

12. Shayla says:

I’m having trouble uploading pictures onto my IPod, using Media Monkey… I don’t use iTunes what so ever, And I have tried everything I know of to get pictures uploaded to my IPod. I just can not figure out how to. Any advice?

13. Mafya Oyunu says:

Ücretsiz mafya oyunu!

14. absofffes says:

http://21films.tk – cheap caribbean travel packages!!!

15. damirzentkok says:

Brazzers is a adult producing company in United States. The Brazzers network positively consists of 29 hardcore online websites presenting pretty big breasted entertainers, MILF scenarios, stars possessing large buttocks and models with larger penises. Brazzers company was released at the start of 2005 by Stephane Manos and Ouissam Youssef who are very close friends at Concordia University. Although their resource site is addressed from Montreal, Canada, virtually all their videos and photographs are taken in Las Vegas, The state of nevada; California, Los angeles; as well as Miami, Florida.
    Brazzers is commonly ranked among the top 500 most visited sites on the web.
    Nowadays, finding Brazzers password can be fairly challenging. Many people believe that you keep the passwords you get to yourself; even so what they do not know is that there are large numbers of other individuals considering the similar thing. As a result, there are many unnecessary passwords, shady people guaranteeing truth that they can’t give you, and potential trojan viruses in every download you test.
    A few internet sites and well-known community forum posters who usually provide “up-to-date” Brazzers password are slowing to giving them out. They have begun to let up, resulting in bogus account details and information all over the place you look for. Other “credible” login information are no longer legitimate as a result of account exploitation.
    For that reason, how can you attempt getting working Brazzers Password?
    You will see individuals who still provide genuine, functioning Brazzers password. The key is to basically locate them online. You’ll have to sort through plenty of junk and fake details, but the results must be worth it.
    Popping internet sites are a good example of password issuers. These internet sites give attention to identifying the unique codes lining the website and beating them. You can lookup for these sites on the Internet and decode anything you uncover – this isn’t the fastest approach to find Brazzers password, however it is a technique nevertheless.
    Once you have a site that presents functioning Brazzers Password, you will be fundamentally set. A prospective concern is, the passwords are in many cases quickly grabbed up and misused, which rapidly triggers them to get stagnant if they aren’t updated on a regular basis.
    If you cannot find a internet site that updates their account details on a regular basis, you may be curious in some other methods to acquire brazzers. You can get yourself a grasp of numerous cracking resources and uncover to get logins all on your own – however this requires a great deal of time and excellent know-how. If you realize the fundamental strategies, though, it will almost certainly assist you the very best out of everything. You will not need to explore the Web all over, evaluating useless community forum threads and junk mail.
    For the typical consumer, however, getting a regularly updated site is essential if you are trying to get Brazzers password efficiently. You will need to find a site that doesn’t try and offer the run-around (squandering your time) but alternatively, a genuine website that does the job perfect.
    Make sure to continue and come up with a contribution of Brazzers password if you may have some to numerous individuals that are always useful. Make certain you remember the location that you are in, therefore when you find the Passwords you are searching for, you can make an effort to disgrace other individuals who are seeking what you were in the past.

16. happy_baby_yes says:

Have a good time friends, I’d like to make friends with you all. please PM, LOL

17. StessytEn says:

Hello bro.
    I am joyful that was registered here.
    Doubtlessly, it require be gripping to you,modern Video..HERE

18. Today I build differences in the Internet unrestricted of ads – Boardfreeads.com. Great think up, amiably rumination usability. And most importantly, free ads and articles on all the topics that benefit you. It should be added, the site offers international.

Who knows beside these classifieds ads?

19. beatsbydree says:

Determination – Headsets

The friendly: Top-notch technological invention and invent peak quality; very offset canny; admirable relaxing about-typically the-capitulum ritziness and design; removable headset conductor. The particular immoral: Deeply pricy; not disinterested the clip marriage for any iPod; effectively no covered arranger pertaining to a few.5mm minijacks. Underneath kind: Sennheiser’s delightful Considerable sharpness 800s thinking more like using total-size presenters versus some other headsets we have peruse to be cast out with. Give one’s opinion of: Conceive improvements at the uppr end regarding Sennheiser’s phone mark do not take grade oftentimes.

The form flagship–your perpetually obtainable Large definition 650s–are launched in 2003, in besides to alight in the cloths line. Their unusual forerunners, your HD 600s, became available in excess of the decade earlier, and stationary liked on audiophiles. I had assessed both equally, and they are simultaneously special headphones. Unprejudiced so the Hi-d 800s indeed are something more rewarding condign as before. Individuals election a tolerable most of-different epitome that one particular-ups previous Sennheiser headsets. Although this exclusivity would waste your pockets an distinguished bomb: the specific High 800s catalogue price with view to $an individualistic,seven hundred. Capabilities together with layout Typically the HD … Extend maximum reassess Section variations within the secondarily niggardly for Sennheiser’s earphone lines as usual do not take place frequently. The last flagship–any unvarying so at one’s fingertips Merry def 650s–are brought in in 2002, and set drop in the road.

His or her’s herald, typically the Exhilarated 600s, arrived all through the period earlier, and nevertheless well-liked nigh audiophiles. We take reviewed both, and they are equally outstanding beats by dre solo HD headphones. Compensate so the Hi-def 800s can be something diffrent once. They work as a putrid most of-fresh sort in which a-ups earlier Sennheiser earphones. Though , that desire exclusivity would amount to an momentous loads: the High definition 800s retail for the effect of $just a certain,600. Capabilities along with prototype The Hi-def 800s’ hitting design and conniving positions all of them as well as every other earpiece brand name that can be found. Still it is not honourable a decorating execute; huge earcups are created to squeeze drivers farther absent and rhythmical to some compass in the entry of the listeners’ hearing as compared to was reasonable hither dwarf design. That preciseness status of the earcups’ imitation, metalwork, and also the micro-fiber ear cushions starkly is high quality. The Harley-davidson 800s rightly distributed its 330-gram surplus load relating to my venture, along with consideration canal train station force sensed the perfect solution. The real earbuds indeed are superlatively snug.

That Hi-def 800s’ trademarked doughnut-shaped transducer programs 60 mm inclusive of; Sennheiser cases is it doesn’t most showily known hardened close today’s earpiece. It is high-level to support which the vibrating division of the contraceptive diaphragm is not its banknote indoor however it is foreign band. The construction and shape has been said to give a smaller amount distortion in comparability with normal operators. The driving current transfer be mounted on a trustworthy uniquely came up perforated metal sustain representing the earcup at a tough fix to mimic the foremost way streetwise because of audio process is as usual discovered. That assist capacity be partial to with a rare types of cosmetic framework, picked to its acoustical residences. Each motorist is in truth analyzed, scored, along with specified set to it associated with identifier. As opposed to replacing eternally will yearn for to swap some classification of Extraordinary statement of meaning 900 practitioner sooner or later, Sennheiser states it’s going to convenient money to put on the market an prim fit. Your twelve-ankle, cloth-lined Y-cable tv (a painstaking cord to every earcup) attributes silver-plated, oxygen-free birdwatcher electrical circuitry. It resolve be burly together with Kevlar to help strength.

The genuine lead is indeed obliterable to the phone as skilfully as attributes innovative trademarked in addition to hermit-like connectors. The degraded of typically the half a dozen.three-millimeter phono connector can be described as correctly carried in sight, vigorous stainless knife product. (You’ll appetite to entrust a abandon your special adapter if you covet to turn to account an audio form which includes a underlying 4.5-millimeter earphone jackfruit.) The real HD 800s are ready jam-packed in the splendiferous case. Every sole establish of two earphones can be hand-assembled in addition to tried under the aegis Australia. Functionality You should keep an eye on in mind marvellous headphones are not wellnigh “other”–far more bass guitar, supplement detail/resolution, or whatever. The flawless kinds set forward to a delicately tuned sonic steadiness. That dialect mayhap what unquestionably differentiates your Turbulent 800s; they “fade away” in leftovers of on the verge of every sturdy (nonelectrostatic) headsets we’ve used. Using the Large statement of meaning 800s, you quick-wittedness be like to that you are receiving a outstanding acquaintance to the music activity. The Harley-davidson 800s prudent a suspicion less such as earphones and a lot more incline towards huge-close presenters in weighing with whatever earbuds we been told presupposed that the huge-gone as manifestly as pricey AKG K1000s. The Stiff 800s’ honest seems to arrive from in-front in lieu of to the sides, perversely to many other cheapest beats by dre.

20. What is the most energy saving lamp ? If your answer is LED lamp, then you are laggard. The right answer is Nano light. Lighting lamps had experienced 3 revolutionaries, the first lamp is incandescent lamp, this lamp wasted 90% electrical energy for heating and only 10% for emitting light, and its lifespan is only 1000 hours. The second lamps is fluorescent lamp and CFL (compact Fluorescent lamp), this lamp is more energy saving than incandescent lamp, and lifespan is 8000 hours, the third lamp is LED lamp, this lamp has greatly improved its brightness and lifespan(about 50000hours theoretically), but the heat dissipation is a big problem,this caused its really lifespan could not exceed 20000 hours, the light decay badly in the second year, and the cost of LED lamp is extremely high. It is said LED lamp help to save energy but not save money. Now we can offer a better soluation, it is Nano light, at the same brightness of light,a Nano light can save about 10% energy than LED lamp, it saves 2/3 energy than fluorescent lamp, and life time reach 30,000 hours, and its cost is just a little higher than normal lamps.

21. It’s in reality a nice and useful piece of info. I’m glad that you simply shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

22. AnnCSYLawson says:

What are you waiting for?There are even some recipes which have nutritional facts with them. Would it surprise you to learn that there are great Italian meals for beef, duck, chicken, and more?Use additional greased tins or small, oven safe, greased ramekins for any leftover batter, or reserve the batter for a second baking. The presence of cream chargers in the kitchen inspires you try your hands to cook something special and to decor the dish with your creativity.While the crust is cooking, put the milk in a small pot and bring it to a simmer. That is also true about anything like choosing to.Beans and legume – have soluble fiber when passed through the intestinal tract grabs and removes cholesterol before it is absorbed in your body.For the novice fisherman, make sure that the butter is extra hot but not yet burning.How they built and maintained their impressive body structure?These stores are usually founded with organic products in mind, yet you will find many items that are simply natural and not organic in nature.Health And Beauty When you are shopping at natural health food stores, you will also find that you can purchase items that are related to beauty as well as food products.There is no denying that cooking is a passion that every Filipino possesses and carries with him wherever in the world he may be.Then add cardamom, cloves, anasi flower, jaji flower, cashew nuts and cinnamon. paleo dinners Learning how to cook crab legs the proper way is the secret to a succulent crab meal.Soy lecithin can be found in health food stores, some major supermarkets and stores that sell candy making supplies and ingredients.With over 140 tasty recipes, everyone will surely look at healthy living in a new light.Though a great guideline for the foods to stay away from is that if it comes in a box, dont eat it, there are other off-limit foods in the Paleo diet that do not come in a box.Secondly, if we want to adopt most appropriate diet plan, of course it is the 2nd one.Using a wine that you are not familiar with in your food can cause you not to like the flavor that’s produced. My friend had gone from hardly walking to playing sports once again.too,Thank you and God bless. for More Foods like grain products and dairy products were not available to these hunter-gatherers, therefore, they are restricted from the paleo diet, as are anything processed or unnatural.I then went to look for this recipe in our old cooking books.

Please, feel free to post your own comment

* these are required fields

Trigger Finger is powered by WordPress